Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Reed Says Tackling Issues Due to Injury

Ravens All-Pro free safety Ed Reed has had what many have described as a down year. He notched only three interceptions on the year, his lowest total ever in a season that he played all 16 games.

Now, I wouldn't agree with those who say he's had an off year because of the lack of picks. Much like with a top-notch cornerback, opposing offenses deliberately avoid throwing to his area of the field. This may take away from Reed's statistics, but it creates opportunities for his teammates and is really just as valuable to the team. Ask any team that's preparing to face the Ravens defense and usually the first thing you hear is that they always have to account for Ed Reed.

But lets take a look at the other area of his game, tackling. Reed has no doubt struggled with it this season, more so than ever before. He's had a nerve impingement in his neck that has created problems for him for a few years now, so much so that he even considered retirement after the 2009 season. It has surely affected his tackling in the past, but this year, Reed says it's a different ailment that has caused his tackling to suffer.

"I had a stinger hurt me this year so bad in my right shoulder to where now it has affected my deltoid and my scapula, my shoulder has just been hanging on the last couple of weeks. You could see how it has affected me for the most part. I think I've missed one tackle for four games straight, one in each game." Reed told Jamison Hensley of ESPN.

This could help explain why the All-Pro's tackling has dropped off even more this year, or it could simply be Reed's way of rationalizing all the missed tackles. Either way, the Ravens need him to improve on his tackling for the playoffs. He's still a top notch ball-hawk in the secondary, but there's no question his tackling issues have hurt the defense at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment